Sunday, April 7, 2013

Corn muffin overload

Hi everyone!  It's a busy day in the house today. My sister is getting married tomorrow, and preparations are on the way! I'll post photos soon of the wedding and the personal details I helped them out with to make their day special. (My sister just sometimes takes it a little bit overboard.)

In the meantime, here's my new kitchen adventure! Corn muffins! And just a little bit of everything, actually WITH corn.




Last Friday at work, I had the chance to "live" in our kitchen systems. Oh, the joys of a wonderful, well-equiped, well-stocked kitchen. My officemates and I concocted a simple lunch for our group. We decided on a Kenny Roger's style of meal (complete with the chicken, mashed potatoes, corn and carrots, and of course, corn muffins!)



We followed the recipe from Gisslen's Professional baking book, which my officemate handily had, but there are also a lot of corn muffin over the net, which may be equally delectable! We were not able to buy cornmeal, so instead, we used caned corn. We added the canned corn to the mixture, but junked up a portion in the blender before mixing it in the batter to achieve a smoother corn taste.

Hand mixed corn muffin batter

Note: The corn muffin mixture needs to be baked immediately after combining all the ingredients, so the pans must be greased and ready before even starting to put anything to the mixing bowl.

Our excitement led to not noticing the YIELD part of the recipe. I know, total bummer. What we failed to see was that the recipe yielded around 30 muffins! For the lack of more muffin pans, we even used those small pans for what I guess, macaroons, and even the big 8" diameter pan for cakes! 

Little corn macaroons (or cupcakes) which we toasted a little to see if which level of "done-ness" is yummier! (I preferred the not burnt one though, but a couple of my officemates liked this toasted one)


Here's what we ended up with: corn macaroon, corn muffin and corn cake. 



In all fairness, they were good. :) My officemate sprinkled some confectioner's sugar on top of the muffins to give a little more sweet kick.

A simple, tasty treat!
 My next kitchen adventure: Chocolate cake! Can you give me some handy tips with my next one? :)



No comments:

Post a Comment