Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Nutella-filled chocolate cake with melted marshmallow frosting

Hello guys!


How was your Mother's day? I was never the affectionate daughter (or person for that matter). But last Sunday was supposed to be a "special day". Soooo, my sister and I ended up doing our own chocolate cake for our Mom! ;)


Ina Garten's chocolate cake is now definitely my go-to recipe when baking a chocolate cake! My sister was not ssatisfied with the sweetness level though of my first cake, so we added more cocoa powder into the batter. The recipe calls for only 3/4 cocoa powder, we ended up putting 1 1/4 cup of cocoa powder. TRUE ENOUGH, the fudge was deliciously chocolate-y!!!


We did the double layer this time, and while debating what to put inside as the filling, we ended up deciding on a melted marshmallow frosting  on top and sides.


After several browsing through the net, I decided on this recipe -- it's simple and very much easy to understand. The only problem we encountered was when to know and decide that the egg whites have been beated until "thick".

Also, note to self: this frosting is VERY hard to accomplish without a hand nor a stand mixer. As I previously mentioned in my other posts, I have yet to own a mixer, THIS MARSHMALLOW RECIPE banged my head to the door and urged me to buy one asap! Egg beating is hard, I must say.

Our frosting was a mess.

Our frosting did not turn out quite as expected. :( Somebody help me!

I believe we were not able to "mix until thick" the egg whites before adding the syrup and everything else, but our arms could just do so much. Still yummy though! Oh, and we used brown sugar instead of the white sugar (due to health reasons of our parents), but I am not quite sure if this change merited a change also in the composition.


We topped it with chocolate chip cookies....


And voila! A Nutella-filled chocolate cake with melted marshmallow frosting! :)



 Well, again.... EVERYTHING is BETTER with NUTELLA.

Til next time!

N

No comments:

Post a Comment